Saturday, December 11, 2010

"How I Learned to Drive" Response

I found the play "How I Learned to Drive" to be an extremely difficult and disturbing play to read. Throughout the play, I felt constant sympathy for Li'l Bit as she was misunderstood by her family, not accepted at school, and repeatedly molested by her uncle. Although my thoughts of this character remained steady, I found myself reevaluating my thoughts of Uncle Peck at multiple points in the play. Since the play is not presented to the reader in a sequential way, I found myself both hating and understanding/sympathizing with Uncle Peck.

  • At some points, I viewed Uncle Peck as a misunderstood and lonely character who could be sympathized with. Although these bits of dialogue do not cancel out his disgusting actions, they provide the reader with a bit of background that provides hints as to why Peck became the man he was. An example of such dialogue can be found on pg. 442 in a conversation between Peck and Li'l Bit: "I have a fire in my heart and sometimes drinking helps" - Peck.
  • On the other hand, most of the play portrays Peck as a pathetic pedophile who obviously had some major issues. I literally had to stop reading the play at times as I was getting so internally angered and sickened by Peck's words and actions toward Li'l Bit. There was a very strong, yet subtle line in the play that disturbed me to a point that Uncle Peck became permanently classified as a nasty and pitiful man. This line can be found in the dialogue between Li'l Bit and Peck on pg. 436. Peck states, "Good question. It doesn't have to be a 'she' --but when you close your eyes and think of someone who responds to your touch--someone who performs just for you and gives you what you ask for--I guess I always see a 'she.'" Every time I read that quote it makes my stomach sink with disgust. I can honestly say I am glad he was dead by the end of the play. 

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your interpretation of the play. I think that most readers feel very squeamish when reading the play because at some points we feel bad for this person who is doing horrible things to kids. You blog does a great job looking at both sides of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to hate Uncle Peck too, but I couldn't. I hated what he was doing with every fiber of my being, but I couldn't hate him. I think that's what Vogel was shooting for. It's a new take on a horrifying subject, and I found myself very uncomfortable with the play. I was not just uncomfortable with the subject of the play, but also how it made me feel. It's so hard to fathom feeling bad for a sex offender, but that's exactly what I did at some points.

    ReplyDelete