Sunday, October 31, 2010

“The Importance of being Earnest” Response – What’s in a name?

As I read the play The Importance of being Earnest, I was continually humored in how much importance was placed upon whether the main character’s name was ‘Jack’ or ‘Earnest’:
-Starting out in Act I, Algernon is adamant in ‘Ernest’ first admitting that his actual name is ‘Jack’ and then completely explain why he has two different names. I found it very humorous how Algernon somewhat bribed Jack into telling him “why [he] is Ernest in town and Jack in the country” by calling him a ‘Branburyist’ and refusing to explain until Jack reveals himself (Page 252).
-I found it ironic that in Act I Gwendolen mentions to Jack how much she loves the name Ernest and that she would never consider marrying a man without the name Ernest.
-After Jack fakes Ernest’s death, it is interesting that he is extremely desperate to be christianed Ernest as soon as possible.
- In Act II, I also found it ironic that Cecily says it has always been her dream to love someone with the name Ernest, although it is truly her and Algernon that are engaged.
-Finally, in Act III when almost every conflict is suddenly solved upon the revelation that Jack’s name is actually Ernest, I was in complete shock and somewhat frustrated that a mere name could hold so much significance to the characters of this play.

Throughout the play, I was shocked as to how much importance was placed on a name; something we consider to be a mere label, not means of identity. In today’s society, nicknames (whether similar to your birth name or not) are extremely common. It is just interesting that, contrary to the play, going by a different name would never be the grounds for an upheaval or brawl in current times.

1 comment:

  1. Kristi-

    I too was entertained by the importance that was placed on the name Ernest throughout the play. I couldn't help but laugh when I read Gwendolen's line on page 255 in Act I:

    "Besides, Jack is a notorious domesticity for John! And I pity any woman who is married to a man called John."

    My boyfriend's name is John. He wasn't as amused as I was.

    Overall, I think the importance being placed on the name Ernest was used to emphasize the message of the story, which also just so happens to be the importance of being earnest (sincere and determined with good intentions).

    ReplyDelete