Saturday, October 2, 2010

"Medea" Response

After reading possibly one of the most shocking and depressing plays I have ever come across, my mind ventures in many directions and feelings of confusion, disgust, disbelief, and pity consume my mind. Although the obvious tragedies of the disgusting deaths of the king and his daughter and the gruesome and unnecessary murder of the children made up a large portion of the play's essence, I noticed other aspects of the play that aided in its overall dramatic effect:

1.)    I thought it was clever that the playwright incorporated societal ideologies of the time into the dialogue. Obviously at the time, and even still today, men and women were not viewed as equal beings. These differing roles were reflected throughout the play, with women repeatedly being described as weak and emotional burdens who were the husband’s possessions. In the middle of the play, Jason even mentions that “without the female sex, life would be trouble-free.” (Medea, Line 610) I thought that mentioning the extreme inequality between men and women of the time added an underlying layer of conflict, which was a nice added touch to a play with so much upfront, in-your-face conflict.

2.)    I also enjoyed the sense of irony that took place in the play. For example, after Medea pleads Jason to try to convince his bride that the children can live with them, Jason agrees, thinking that he is securing the wellbeing of his family. As we find out, this is the most harmful thing Jason could have agreed to do, since his bride is poisoned when Jason brings the children to come speak with her. Overall, the irony keeps the reader on their toes, forcing them to constantly question the relationship between the inner motives and actions of the characters.

2 comments:

  1. Kristi-

    While reading Medea, I too noticed how Euripides depicted the inequality between men and women. I agree that the inequality was most evident in the dialogue between characters, and I should note that I literally burst out laughing after reading Jason's line at Line 610.

    In my opinion, this underlying conflict of inequality is what makes Medea so angry. Medea is hurt not only by Jason's affair, but also by the fact that she knows that, as a woman in a man's world, she could never get revenge and do the same to him (leave him for another man, find a better life, etc.).


    **Sorry Kristi! My computer is having problems. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also, found the irony in Jason’s agreement for the children to live with him. It made me think how would have the play developed if the Princess had not agreed to let the children stay. How would have Madea poisoned her then? I too felt as if I was on my toes throughout the play. Constantly confused then I would understand the character then completely baffled again by their actions. For example, Madea learns of the successful murder but still wants Jason to suffer even more.

    ReplyDelete